Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Word for the year:


It's "mayhem". The more I think about it, the more I like it. Now, the legal and medical definition of mayhem is: willful and permanent deprivation of a bodily member resulting in the impairment of a person's fighting ability. But the more widely used definition is this: a very confused situation.

See, I'm not what you'd call a calm person. I mean, sure, in my day-to-day life, I have very little activity. But push me. Just try it, and I push back. And kick and punch and bite. But too often lately I've just sort of accepted things. Things that I find unacceptable. That time is over. I'm going to be who I am, regardless of the mayhem (confused situation) that it causes. So far 2012 is off to a VERY good start. I've harassed two shitty eBay sellers, emailed an online teacher whose class wasn't what it was advertised to be, called out my college on their crappy lab facilities in my student surveys, gotten my bank to reverse a charge for a grocery store in Georgia (I'm in Minnesota and it would be difficult to get back and forth this quickly), and had my apartment complex to threaten to evict my horribly loud neighbors if they can't be less obnoxious. Sure, the mouse was only $7.49 and there are worse things in the world than loud people or a crappy class - but I'm not willing to deal with anymore. Too many people just accept disappointment or obnoxiousness. Not me. Not anymore.

1 comment:

  1. good on ya Goog. I know I just accept things and put up with things that I know I shouldn't. I am going to take a leaf out of your book and stand up for myself too. :)

    ReplyDelete