Monday, May 2, 2011

You Suck Monday

Here is today's YSM project:

I know what you're thinking. "So what? It's just another journal. Everyone makes those."

Well, this was my first time using coptic stitch on the covers. Usually I just bind the paper block together and then I make the covers and glue the block to the covers. And to make sure I have enough thread, I measure the length of the book times how many signatures plus one. So since THIS book is five sigs, I measured six lengths of thread. (OK, the first time I only measured two lengths, but I realized I was an idiot BEFORE I started and cut a new piece of thread.) So, five sigs, six lengths of thread - that sounded right to me. The problem? I had to sew the COVERS, too! So I'm sewing on the back cover and I realize it's not going to be enough thread. I decide to just ADD some thread and I tie on another piece. Square knot, of course, everyone's always talking about how strong square knots are. The first time I tug the string, the knot comes apart. Now I have to pull the thread back a few stitches and re-tie it. It worked that time, but still, who's the idiot who's bound a million journals and still can't manage to do it right? Me. That's right people. You Suck Monday.

I've been trying to decide what to do about our new blog, but I guess for now I'm just going to double-post. I'm not smart enough to come up with two blog posts in one day!

No comments:

Post a Comment