Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Point

I've found myself OFTEN asking myself lately what the point of doing things is. If I'm going to be a graphic designer, what is the point of painting? Drawing? Journaling? Is journaling even worth my time? I look at people's beautiful work - I look at my OWN old journals and I think "What's the point?"

Suzi has always told us to make art for the sake of making art. There is no other "point" needed. But I've had a hard time wrapping my head around that lately. Today I watched a fun art journal video on YouTube and I realized - that IS the point. The journaling, the painting, the words - that's the point. The point is that I have this thought in my head and I want to get it out. Maybe to forget it, maybe to ease my mind, maybe it's a jumping off point for pages and pages of writing that's going to come pouring out of I just let it. It doesn't matter what it's for. It doesn't matter if it's pointless to EVERY OTHER PERSON ON THE PLANET. It just doesn't matter. I want to paint, I want to journal, I WANT to do it and THAT'S the point.

That's Liam's "hole in one" face. He was mini golfing with Daddy while I worked on Angry Banana. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment