Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Captchas - a rant!

Something that bloggers, especially ones who offer freebies or tutorials on their blogs, complain about A LOT is that they don't get very many comments. Here is a blog I was going to comment on today:

Guess what? I didn't comment. "Type the two words"? Those aren't words. And you know what else? I have dyslexia. Typing NORMAL WORDS is hard for me. I can't do captchas. I'm not being self-deprecating. I literally can't do them. If you were to READ those letters to me so I could type them, I would screw it up. Just ask anyone who's ever tried to give me a phone number. I download a lot of stuff from blogs - digital scrapbooking freebies, tutorials, I save stuff with Evernote. I adore blogs. I just do. I could spend all day surfing around looking at them. But commenting, EVEN IF I'VE DOWNLOADED SOMETHING, I will only do if there is no captcha requirement. I love to comment, network, build relationships with people. Captchas stand solidly between me and expressing thanks or condolences or sharing ideas. This blog is captcha-free. Does this mean spam-free? Not 100%, but Blogger BLOCKS the spammers. Even the ones who try to post things like "love your idea, here's my website". Also, I feel like if a blogger is SUPER concerned about spam (although I don't see why you would care all that much since it doesn't actually affect you OR your blog), they can simply read their comments and delete the spam ones. And for the record, I find the phrase "Please prove you're not a robot" insulting. I have no idea why, since I'm not a robot, but I do. Rant over. 

PS - I really felt like you could all use a light-hearted rant because of all the heavy stuff being ranted about lately. 

8 comments:

  1. I also hate these and took it off my blog for that reason- although I do admit that I moderate comments through my email and then publish them because I get a crazy amount of spam comments. I don't know why-maybe because my blogging is sporadic? It's not that hard to moderate comments through your email though and I think more people would leave comments if they did not have to jump through hoops. Good rant-lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! SO MANY more people would comment if they just COULD!!

      Delete
  2. I also hate it when they want you to register for something - one said that I was granting them permission to post on my behalf. Um, NO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Annoying isn't it! I have often come across this and even if you play the sound version it doesn't make sense...I've put in what I thought it would be and still not been allowed to comment! I took the instruction to write two words literally for a long time... I would write the 1st word and then write THE WORD three instead of the number 3.I think if you like people to comment you should make it easier for people. Thanks that has done me good to have a good rant too :) AAAaaaaaaargh...my URL contains illegal characters...this comment as business gets ME riled too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You actually only have to type one of the words really, not sure if this helps you at all.
    Anyway the clearer "word" or letter jumble is the one you type, and the other you can literally type anything and it will accept it. Usually the fake word is numbers, something with a punctuation mark or umlaut or lately bits of photographs have started appearing 0.o

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! I remember those days when my daughter was little. Hope the bath was a soothing one...As for that security block from the comment section...I cannot believe one day I actually tried the damn thing 5 or 6 times. Eventually I thought how stupid am I? Over and done with that. Look forward to your self portraits.

    ReplyDelete