Monday, April 4, 2011

You Suck Monday

I've missed blogging, my friends! Gotta get back to doing it everyday now that I have a working computer. It keeps me making art. Here's what I sucked at today. It's a girl I've painted before - there didn't seem to be any reason to "practice" on the bag, especially since it's something people are going to see. (More than just you people, I mean.)

First I drew on it in pencil. Plain old pencil. It worked fine and erased perfectly.

Then I painted! For the face I used titan buff, just like I would for any painting, but it looked REALLY DARK against the white of the bag. Really, horribly dark. I guess I'm not really used to working directly on something white like that. Usually colored pencil comes before paint, so I don't ever start with white.
It's hard to tell in the pictures, but I was able to add some depth with a tan mixed with a teeny bit of dark brown and LOTS of glazing liquid. At least as much glaze as there was paint. Maybe more. It looks way cooler in person!
I went back in with my pencil to redefine her features, and I used a black Glaze pen for her pupils. Oh, and I added some shiny airbrushing paint to her background and iridescent medium to her wing so it's shiny. I'm pretty happy with her so far!
Now I just have to decide if I want to put the words on her that were on the journal page...thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. That's soooo not a USM piece!! The text pic didn't show it this well. How cool that you could actually add some shading to her. I love it. I def would add text to her! Are you gonna do the other side too?
    Way to go Goog! xo

    ReplyDelete