Monday, May 14, 2012

NON-Alcohol Sprays

OK, so since there's been some concern from our peeps about inhaling the alcohol from the sprays that I love. I don't feel like it's a viable concern, AND I don't usually like using water soluble stuff in my work because it's water soluble. (I know, I know - DUH, Goog!) But since I know some of you DO think it's a viable concern, for you I have made these new sprays. Honestly, I didn't think I would like them. I didn't expect them to be vibrant enough, I didn't think the colors would make me happy at all. See how dedicated I am to you? Anyway, I got two types of Caryola markers because they're non-toxic. (In case you're wondering, ALL Crayola products are non-toxic and yes I do know that for a fact and yes I did have a reason to request that information from Crayola.) Non-toxic pretty much screams "water-based", so I figured all of these markers would work with water, rather than alcohol, to draw out the color from the tube inside the markers.

I bought these ones because I thought since they're fabric markers they might be permanent.

 Still non-toxic, see?

And sprays :) 

I also did the normal Crayolas:

Also non-toxic:

And all made into sprays:

Bottom line: they are RIDICULOUSLY vibrant, especially the original crayolas, and they are ALL permanent when sprayed on Stonhenge printmaking paper. The reason I'm qualifying the paper to you is because I know things can react differently on different papers. My wonderful friend Kelly insisted to me that Glimmer Mist is water soluble, but the three regular ones and one chalkboard on that I have are NOT - could be the paper that I use.

There is ONE con. Water takes longer to dry than alcohol, so the spray has more time to absorb into the paper. If you're just looking for color, or you don't mind the non-crisp result, and you're afraid of alcohol, these are the perfect solution for you. If you need a crisp spray from your stencil, you're going to want to stick with alcohol because it dries a lot faster.

Here's an example with the water sprays:
It's a very cool teal sprayed over yellow. The paper was pretty wet at the time, and it's actually the reverse of a stencil - so, I actually sprayed through to get the alphabet and then flipped it over to get the leftover. This is the leftover and it's not horrible, but it's certainly not a very crisp result, either. So, it's really going to depend on what you're looking for. I think the alcohol isn't that big of a deal, I doubt anyone is going to sit and work at their table until they're sick from alcohol sprays, but why take a chance if you don't have to? 

No comments:

Post a Comment