Monday, February 10, 2014

Symbols

I've actually always hated when teachers tell us to look for "symbols" in our work. I'm not a sign/symbol kind of chick. I don't believe that there are outside forces working for or against me, I believe that I am in control of my own life. But I can't deny it anymore - I have a cloud issue.

A single cloud in my TDL journal:

A whole canvas full:

A stamp I carved:

Journal page:

Journal cover:

A picture I couldn't help taking, even as I was asking myself WHY I was taking a picture of the sky:

According to literature (of course I researched it, you know I couldn't help it!) clouds are considered to be dwelling places of the gods. They are also symbolic of transition and transformation. But my favorite interpretation of what clouds symbolize is confusion and distraction. Not because I enjoy being confused or distracted (though I am very easily), but because when clouds are used in art they can symbolize persevering through the confusion and distraction. I like that concept a lot. I'm feeling VERY confused lately about my life and where it's heading. Those are my clouds. I can see the blue sky, the light at the end of the tunnel, but I can't quite figure out how to get there. Maybe knowing this, admitting this, will help? I don't know.

3 comments:

  1. This is really interesting! Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is really cool, Goog! It's funny, I am totally a symbols/sign kind of chick! I love working with my dreams and the symbols there! Love the stamp you carved, and the meaning you are "carving" out for yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think of symbols as internal forces - bits and pieces of pre-verbal imagistic language that means something specific to *me*, and while sometimes what it means to me conforms to the universally accepted meaning, sometimes it means something completely different.

    Something about the word 'symbols' triggers feelings around 'signs' and 'oracles' and outside forces, but ultimately, symbols are inner landscape stuff and when a symbol pops up in our work over and over again, it's like our soul is whispering to us.

    ReplyDelete