Monday, November 19, 2012

The second half...

Of yesterday's quote:


So, anyone who knows Suzi knows that she's been working with Breaking Free, an organization that helps women in the commercial sex trade to get out and make lives for themselves. She was talking about a ceremony they were having and how all of the girls were still wearing their ridiculously tight clothes and stupidly high heels, because it's all they know. If you know Suzi, you also know that she used to be a GoGo dancer in New Jersey. She was one of those girls who spent hours getting dressed before high school in the morning, while I was the one who scooped up clothes off the floor and tugged them on, then ran out to the bus just in time to climb on.

Recently, Suzi told me that she would see girls who dressed like me - soft pants or jeans, t-shirts, hoodies, pajamas, etc - and she wished that she "could" dress like that. I was totally floored. It never occurred to me that the gorgeous, polished, glamorous girls would EVER think "Hey, I wish I was comfortable enough with myself to dress like that sloppy, unkempt, naked-face chick." I will tell you that I never once wished to be a plastic-looking mean girl, not once. I am who I am. It never occurred to me that they weren't necessarily who they wanted to be.

There's not really a point to this post, I have no advice or words of wisdom. I just think it's interesting to know. "Don't waste time being who you are, be who you want to be." A teacher said that to me once. (Not me specifically, a classroom full of us, but you get my point.)

No comments:

Post a Comment