Sunday, July 10, 2011

You Should Have Seen It In Color

There's a country song (I love country music) and it's called In Color and it's about a little boy asking his grandpa about his black and white pictures. The grandpa is telling him about them and he says "A picture's worth a thousand words, but you can't see what those shades of gray keep covered. You should've seen it in color." This is my Grandpa (John) and his brother (Will) in their army uniforms.

At my grandparents' wedding, my Great-Uncle Will met my grandma's cousin (both ladies were named Margaret), and they fell in love. My Grandparents and my Great-Aunt and Great-Uncle bought a two-family house in the Bronx sixty-three years ago. There was an upstairs apartment and a downstairs one, each with only one bedroom. Between them, they raised seven kids who grew up more like siblings than like cousins. There are eleven of us in the next generation, and we have ten kids between us and more will come. There was more love in that tiny house in the Bronx that I've seen anywhere else. I adore this picture and this kit was perfect for it.

It's called "I Love this Land" and it's by Piccolina Designs. It's free to download and I really just love the softness of it. So many red, white, and blue kits are very harsh colors and I understand that war is a very harsh thing. But my memories of grandpa are soft and I love the softness of the kit.

No comments:

Post a Comment