Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Paper?

Saturday is the day - January 1, 2011. I'm going to start keeping a manga journal. I posted some pictures of my new journal (Strathmore smooth Bristol!) that I've been making comic book panels with. But it bothers me that I can't use both sides of the page because the copic markers that I plan to use will leak through the back. How do I know? Tried it of course.

Front:

Back:

I haven't found a paper yet that the copics don't bleed through. So yesterday Ajae is telling me about a paper she used in some kind of class (clearly I pay close attention to people) that had a coating on one side that didn't let markers bleed through. It sounds interesting except the problem remains the same - can't use both sides.

So I wondered what kind of coating would be OK for copics to draw on and still be blendable? (That's not a word, in case you're wondering.) My first thought was matte medium, so I asked my copic expert (Kelly) and she said I should be able to color over matte medium. (You can't used them over acrylics, it's bad for them even though Teesha does!) So, I tried it.

Front:
Back:

In other words - it WORKED!!! I tried three different papers but NOT the bristol - what was I thinking? I have another journal with Bristol paper that I can try it with and if it works, I'll be able to get two months of manga into my Bristol journals! Yay!

4 comments:

  1. You could prime the pages (both sides) with gesso. Or maybe try watercolor (140lb.) paper. I gesso both sides, and I can even use notebook paper.
    I LOVE the mernmaid and fish - so detailed, delicate and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate gesso, especially for drawing on top of because you can't erase. You also can't use copic markers over it so it would completely defeat the purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe it's a dumb question, but have you tried marker paper for graphic design? I used it allthe time in school and it coil be seen from the back but did not actually bleed through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie, it's totally NOT a dumb question! My whole point is that I want to be able to use BOTH sides of the paper and I want it in a journal format. I've only seen marker paper in small tablets (letter sized) and it's very thin. I see that you live in Eden Prairie, too! That's kind of amazing...

    ReplyDelete