Thursday, December 2, 2010

What is important?

I think it's so easy for people to get a little bit preachy about this subject. Everyone wants to think they're so enlightened and un-materialistic, but I find this to rarely be true. A lot of people want designer bags/jeans/shoes just because there's a name on it. If you research, you'll find out there's no difference between the way a pair of jeans is made whether you paid $100 or $10 for them. Personally, I'm a $10 pair of jeans kind of chick. I don't wear makeup, I don't own a hairbrush, I usually make my purses. I have a cousin whose dog has a Coach raincoat.

The thing is - I adore this cousin. We're great friends. She doesn't care that I made my purse out of thrift store ties and I don't care that she paid $300 (on clearance) for hers. She is a loving wife and mother and an amazing friend. She teaches children with emotional and behavior disorders and she loves it. Is she a bad person because she likes Coach? Am I because yesterday I spent all day in gym pants and a hoodie? No and no. We just think different things are WORTH our money. I don't think ANY purse is worth $300 but I don't think LESS of you if you do. People will talk on and on about how other people look down on them for being thrift store shoppers and wearing old clothes and blah, blah, blah - but they do the same thing, judge people who like expensive things. I like video games and I have lots of them (more than you would think possible, trust me). I pay $17 for my Moleskine journals and $2/pencil for my Prismacolors. Two dollars is not a lot of money - but for ONE pencil? It's absurdly expensive. Ridiculous. But I've had the pants I'm wearing for at least five years, probably longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment